COVID-19 has made it a challenging year for all of us, but our education staff has been busy developing innovative ways to continue to connect everyone with nature during this trying time—when we need it most. On-site, in-person Audubon summer camp may be canceled, but we're excited to provide a new Virtual Summer Camp option.
- For children in kindergarten through sixth grade
- 5 weeks of online nature experiences, beginning July 21, 2020
- Three 90-minute sessions per week (from 10 - 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday)
- Register by the week or for individual specific days
- $40 per week or $15 per session
- Mac, Windows PC, or a mobile device with a webcam, stable internet connection, and access to Zoom video conferencing (required)
Each 90-minute virtual camp session will include activities such as livestream segments and recorded segments with educational nature lessons, featured crafts, and some Wild Jobs highlights from field professionals. The sessions will be led live via Zoom by Audubon Connecticut Educators from our Sharon, Greenwich, and Bent of the River Audubon Centers. We will also provide links to additional educational videos and ideas for more activities and crafts for your child to enjoy at home, beyond the scheduled camp time.
Join the fun—and experience nature from wherever you are!
For questions, please contact Kate Pratt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 203-405-9113.
**FRAUD ALERT** Someone has been impersonating and copying Audubon events on other Facebook pages. If you receive any direct messages to your Facebook account with ticket links, those are not from us. Please only register for camp by following our official registration links provided on our Audubon websites.
Discover what makes a bird a bird and why they’re important. During this feathered friend experience, we’ll enjoy a birds of prey program, meet Paloma (Sharon Audubon Center’s White Ring-necked Dove), learn to identify birds using binoculars and other nature skills, and find out why we band birds.
- Tuesday, July 21 at 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, July 22 at 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, July 23 at 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Last Day to Sign Up: Monday, July 20
Take part in an aquatic habitats adventure! Get to know these wet and wild places through pond dipping and stream exploration; meet some of our aquatic animals like turtles, crayfish, and frogs; and learn about incredible macroinvertebrates. This wet and wild adventure will also include a virtual field trip to Long Island Sound to learn about marine ecology.
- Tuesday, July 28 at 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, July 29 at 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, July 30 at 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Last Day to Sign Up: Monday, July 27
Learn how to blitz your yard and become a community scientist! We’ll keep track of all the species we find as we look under logs, learn to catch dragonflies and insects, meet the snakes and turtles at the Sharon and Greenwich Audubon Centers, and learn how to use the iNaturalist* community science app—which helps to provide beneficial data to scientists around the world.
- Tuesday, August 4 at 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, August 5 at 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, August 6 at 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Last Day to Sign Up: Monday, August 3
*The iNaturalist app will need to be loaded onto your computer or mobile device for this week of camp.
Get a firsthand look into the mysterious and strange ways of the common (and not-so-common) plants and the animals who use them. Learn about pollinators and native host plants, find out how to make seed bombs, identify common invasive species, and get a glimpse into Monarch Butterfly tagging.
- Tuesday, August 11 at 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, August 12 at 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, August 13 at 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Last Day to Sign Up: Monday, August 10
Some animals are most active when the sun goes down. Let’s venture into the twilight to meet bats, fireflies, and Sharon Audubon Center’s resident owls, go on a moth hunt, learn about beavers, and maybe take a virtual moonlight hike!
- Tuesday, August 18 at 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, August 19 at 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, August 20 at 10 - 11:30 a.m.
- Last Day to Sign Up: Monday, August 17