Join us as we celebrate a newly designated Audubon Important Bird Area (IBA). West River Memorial Park and Edgewood Park have been identified as an IBA for Rusty Blackbirds, a species considered globally vulnerable. Most winters, as many as 120 Rusty Blackbirds are reported at the North end of Edgewood Park using the park’s wooded wetlands to forage and also roost in the evenings. Even more, these parks also provide valuable stopover habitat for many migrating birds, with 157 bird species observed in the park including a pair of nesting Bald Eagles!
The celebration festivities will include:
- 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. – IBA Fair and Osprey nest viewing
- 11:00 a.m. – Guided bird walk
- 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. – Bird banding demonstration
- 12:00 p.m. – Guided nature walk
- 1:00 -2:00 p.m. – IBA designation ceremony
- 2:00 p.m. – Guided bird walk
- 2:00 - 3:00 p.m. – Canoeing along the West River
There will also be a scope and nest camera set up at the Barnard Nature Center to allow viewing of the Osprey nest throughout the entire event.
This event is free and open to the public. Rain Date: Sunday, June 12, 2016 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.