Audubon's Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is the longest running Citizen Science project in the world. Started in 1899 as a way of encouraging people to count birds instead of shoot them, the CBC takes place each year from mid-December to early January when thousands of volunteer birders contribute to the long-term study of early winter bird populations across North America. Count captains in each local area coordinate volunteers for their respective "count circles," and count birds (both number of species and number of individuals) throughout a 24-hour period.
CBC participants range from expert ornithologists to beginning birders, following established protocols to ensure consistent data collection. The data from each count circle is tabulated and submitted to the National Audubon Society, to be used by scientists in a wide variety of studies. To date, more than 200 peer-reviewed articles have resulted from analysis done with Christmas Bird Count data, which has also been used by U.S. Federal agencies as an important basis for making decisions about birds.
We need your help. Please join us for the next CBC and register with a local count coordinator/compiler (click on link below for full Connecticut schedule).
- Saturday, December 15, 2018 - Woodbury-Roxbury CBC - Led by Western Connecticut Bird Club in participation with Audubon Center Bent of the River. Compiler: Ken Elkins, firstname.lastname@example.org, 203-405-9113
- Sunday, December 16, 2018 - Greenwich-Stamford CBC - Led by Audubon Greenwich. Compiler: Cynthia Ehlinger, email@example.com, 203-219-1963
- Sunday, December 16, 2018 - Lakeville-Sharon / Trixie Strauss CBC - Led by Housatonic Audubon Society in participation with Audubon Sharon. Compiler: Zachary Adams, firstname.lastname@example.org, 860-364-0520 or 717-926-3926
- Sunday, December 16, 2018 - Litchfield Hills CBC - Led by Litchfield Hills Audubon Society. Compiler: Raymond E. Belding, email@example.com, 860-482-4046
- Sunday, December 16, 2018 - Quinnipiac Valley CBC - Led by Quinnipiac Valley Audubon Society. Compilers: Melissa Baston, firstname.lastname@example.org, 860-995-0656 and Corrie Folsom-O’Keefe, email@example.com, 203-630-9640
- Sunday, December 16, 2018 - Salmon River CBC - Led by Mattabeseck Audubon Society. Compilers: Sharon Dellinger, firstname.lastname@example.org, 860-803-1626 and Doreen Jezek, email@example.com, 859-492-1656
- Saturday, December 22, 2018 - Barkhamsted CBC - Led by Litchfield Hills Audubon Society. Compiler: David Tripp, Jr., firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sunday, December 30, 2018 - Old Lyme-Saybrook CBC - Led by Potapaug Audubon Society. Compiler: Barbara Hawes, email@example.com, 860-710-5811
- Saturday, January 5, 2019 - Guilford-Long Island Sound CBC - Led by Menunkatuck Audubon Society. Compilers: Tom Kelly, firstname.lastname@example.org and Louise Kelly, email@example.com, 203-430-3180