Audubon Connecticut, together with the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Common Ground High School, Urban Farm and Environmental Education Center, and the Yale Peabody Museum, invite you to our third Schoolyard Habitat Summit.
This day-long summit will provide opportunities for professional development, networking, and learning about and sharing best practices in outdoor education. Our theme—Breaking Down Barriers—will be woven into workshops and address how we can break down barriers to teaching outside, how we can create more inclusive programs, and how we can connect more students with nature education.
Expert-led workshops include:
- Strengthening Science- designing habitats for a variety of wildlife
- Integration into the curriculum and extending learning outside
- Creating engaging habitat projects
We welcome keynote speaker, CJ Goulding, Manager of Community Leadership Development for the Children and Nature Network. CJ trains, mentors and supports a national network of over 300 leaders who are creating equitable access to nature in their communities. CJ was featured in the Outdoor Industry's inaugural "30 Under 30" list, and his essay "Why I Wear Jordans in the Great Outdoors" has been published and featured in culturally relevant outdoor curriculum across the country.
Questions? email Katie Blake, Audubon Connecticut's Bird-friendly Communities Manager
Cost: Tickets are $40 for Regular Admission and Free! for Partner Schools*
*a school that is already engaged in the Audubon Schoolyard Habitat Program. In New Haven only - a school engaged with the program through the New Haven Urban Wildlife Refuge Partnership. Partner schools are as follows:
- Bridgeport: Discovery Magnet School
- Danbury: Westside Middle School, Broadview Middle School
- Greenwich: Brunswick Upper and Lower Schools, Greenwich Head Start Program at Armstrong Court, Julian Curtiss School, Parkway Elementary School, Round Hill Nursery School, Western Middle School, Whitby School
- Meriden: Casimir Pulaski Elementary School
- New Haven: Barnard Environmental Studies School, Columbus Family Academy, Common Ground High School, East Rock Community Magnet School, Edgewood Magnet School, Worthington Hooker Elementary School, Bishop Woods School, Conte West Hills Elementary, Fair Haven School, Quinnipiac STEM School, John C. Daniels Schools, Davis Street School, Hill Central School, West Rock STREAM Academy
- Norwalk: Columbus Magnet School
- Stamford: Beacon School, Hart Elementary School, Julia A. Stark Elementary School, Rogers IB Elementary School, Springdale Elementary School, Toquam Magnet School, Northeast School, Davenport Ridge School, Roxbury School, Stillmeadow School, Newfield, K.T. Murphy
- Stratford: Franklin Elementary School
- Waterbury: Waterbury Children’s Community School